Whom We Serve
At the Hedgeman Law Firm, business instinct shapes legal insight.
A law firm’s practice areas are best illustrated by looking at how they impact various industries that the firm serves. The Hedgeman Law Firm has represented various nonprofits, municipalities, businesses, and individuals in the Capital Region. In every professional step we take, we strive to make a difference in the community.
The firm serves the following industries:
The firm has extensive experience working with nonprofit organizations and other tax-exempt organizations on a wide range of critical issues. Our experience includes:
- Tax matters, including initial applications for tax-exempt status, audit advice; IRS and New York state Charities Bureau incorporation and tax exemption approvals.
- Bylaws and organizational documents, including drafting formation documents for new entities and reviewing existing legal agreements to ensure that they are optimized for a nonprofit’s growth and success.
- Obtaining necessary approvals from the New York State Attorney General and the New York state Supreme Court.
- Board operation and management, including director responsibilities, D&O insurance matters, providing advice regarding ethics, conflicts of interest, and employee and management interactions.
- Joint ventures with other organizations, including both nonprofits and for-profit entities.
Corporations And Businesses
Corporate law involves routine matters that include choosing the appropriate entity type, such as partnership, corporation, limited liability company, or other format. Effective business representation, however, involves much more. Since the Hedgeman Law Firm provides its professional services from the perspective of a seasoned business executive, clients get a trusted business and legal advisor. Our business law services include:
- Contract negotiation, including those relating to licensing, franchising, joint ventures, employment, non-competition agreements, major business activities, and real estate transactions
- Human resources matters, including ensuring compliance with labor and other laws and regulations
- Mergers and acquisitions, buy-sell, joint ventures
Municipalities And Public Authorities
At the Hedgeman Law Firm, our multidisciplinary experience delivers value by assisting municipalities, land banks and state and local economic development authorities by providing cost-effective legal services on a full range of issues, including governance, compliance with public authorities laws, labor and employment, economic development and public finance, zoning and land use, environmental law, real property tax and eminent domain, as well as general municipal law.